Corporate Giving Programs: The Ultimate Fundraising Guide
What is a Corporate Giving Program?
Corporate Giving Definition
Corporate giving programs allow companies of all sizes to make investments in social good. These programs are a form of corporate philanthropy that facilities charitable giving to nonprofit causes. Such programs are often driven by employee giving. In other words, the more employees contribute to philanthropic organizations, the more their company will donate.
Types of Corporate Giving Programs
In addition to these main types of corporate giving programs, there are many others that can also benefit nonprofits. Check out the complete list below:
|Types of Corporate Giving Programs||Fundraising Potential|
|Dollars for Doers||✔✔|
|Team Volunteer Grants||✔✔|
|Volunteer Support Programs||✔|
|Automatic Payroll Deductions||✔|
|Annual Grant Stipends||✔|
|Internal Employee Fundraising||✔|
|Employee Product Donations||✔|
- Matching Gifts
- Volunteer Grants
- Fundraising Matches
- Community Grants
- Dollars for Doers
- Team Volunteer Grants
- Volunteer Support Programs
- Annual Giving
- Automatic Payroll Deductions
- Annual Grant Stipends
- Internal Employee Fundraising
- Employee Product Donations
Top Companies for Corporate Giving Programs
Corporate social responsibility is on the rise and, as a result, many companies now offer corporate giving programs. These programs range from matching gifts and/or volunteer grants to a variety of other programs. Check out the top 10 companies for corporate giving:
|COMPANY||MAXIMUM MATCH AMOUNT||LEARN MORE|
|Disney||$25,000||Disney’s corporate giving program|
|Apple||$10,000||Apple’s corporate giving program|
|The Home Depot||$3,000||The Home Depot’s corporate giving program|
|IBM||$5,000||IBM’s corporate giving program|
|$12,000||Google’s corporate giving program|
|General Electric||$5,000||General Electric’s corporate giving program|
|Bank of America||$5,000||Bank of America’s corporate giving program|
|BP||$5,000||BP’s corporate giving program|
|Microsoft||$15,000||Microsoft’s corporate giving program|
|Intuit||$5,000||Intuit’s corporate giving program|
Our Top Corporate Giving Program for Donors: Matching Gifts
As mentioned earlier, matching gifts are a type of corporate philanthropy where companies match donations that their employees make to nonprofits. These are a great way for nonprofits to maximize their donation revenue and for donors to maximize their impact.
How do matching gifts work?
The matching gift process generally follows these steps:
- The donor makes a donation to a nonprofit.
- The donor determines if their donation is eligible for a company match using a matching gift database.
- If their employer will match their donation, the donor can click on the link to the online forms provided by the database and submit the request.
- The donor’s employer reviews the forms and follows up with the nonprofit to confirm the donation.
- The employer makes a matching donation.
Nonprofits can receive twice as many donations as they normally would as a result of matching gift programs. It takes little effort on the employees’ end and companies can contribute to a cause their employees care about. As a result, it’s important to actively promote matching gifts.
Our Top Corporate Giving Program for Volunteers: Volunteer Grants
As touched on before, volunteer grants are corporate giving programs through which companies provide monetary grants to nonprofits where their employees regularly volunteer.
How do volunteer grants work?
Volunteer grants come in two forms:
- A monetary donation for every hour an employee volunteers
- A set grant amount once employees have volunteered a certain amount of time
The volunteer grant process generally follows these steps:
- The volunteer gives their time to a nonprofit.
- The volunteer determines if their time spent is eligible for a volunteer grant using a volunteer grant database.
- If it’s determined that their employer does offer volunteer grants, the volunteer can use the database to find and submit their company’s forms.
- The volunteer’s employer will review the forms and verify with the nonprofit that the employee volunteered.
- The employer will send the nonprofit a monetary grant.
Volunteer grants are important corporate giving programs because they provide extra support to nonprofits as a result of their established volunteers. If your organization has a regular cohort of volunteers, it’s worthwhile to have them check and determine if their companies offer volunteer grant programs.
Companies typically provide grants to one nonprofit per employee per year.
Other Types of Corporate Giving Programs
Grow Your Corporate Giving Dollars: Learn More About Double the Donation
Too many charitable donations go unmatched each year. In fact, an estimated $4-$7 billion in matching gift funds goes unclaimed per year. So how can your organization change this?
Nonprofits can grow their corporate giving dollars by promoting matching gifts and volunteer grant programs to their supporters. Through these corporate giving programs, donors can multiply the effects of their contribution and volunteers can make an even greater impact with their time.
Double the Donation provides several ways for organizations to integrate matching gifts and volunteer grants into their fundraising strategies.
Double the Donation offers the #1 matching gifts database, with more than 8,500 organizations using it. As the most comprehensive and up-to-date database, you can gain access to thousands of profiles that help you connect with companies offering matching gift and volunteer grant programs.
Depending on your organization’s needs, there are two options to consider with Double the Donation: the Premium Plan and 360MatchPro.