Social media – we all use it in one way or another. Whether we’re connecting with friends or catching up on the latest breaking news, social media has become an integral part of the daily routines of many.
But are you maximizing the impact of your social media platforms for your fundraising efforts, specifically in regards to matching gift programs?
Remember: With corporate matching gift programs, your organization is able to collect two donations for the price of soliciting one. Through these programs, employers pledge to match the donations made by their employees to nonprofit organizations such as yours, effectively doubling the impact of the original gift. These programs present a huge opportunity to increase your fundraising revenue,and you want to capitalize on them whenever possible.
Promoting corporate matching gift options using Twitter, Facebook, and the like is a quick, easy and cost-effective way (read: free) to reach your digitally savvy masses.
Social media is incredibly efficient, as you’re able to schedule posts in advance and on a recurring basis. This means you don’t have to remember to continue posting– the networks will do it for you! This paired with the extensive network available to you through these platforms makes social media an opportunity to use to the fullest.
We’re going to examine marketing matching gifts on social media through the following:
- Sample Matching Gift Posts for Twitter
- Sample Matching Gift Posts for Facebook
However, before you begin posting about matching gifts on social media– which will inevitably bring forth donors interested in the programs– ensure your internal matching gifts processes are comprehensive.
The Best Way to Market Matching Gifts
Once you begin posting about matching gifts on social media, there’s a decent chance you’ll have a few interested donors inquiring about their eligibility. The easiest way to push donors in the right direction and get them started with the matching gift process is by simply directing them to a comprehensive matching gift tool!
For example, Double the Donation’s Premium Plan is the perfect tool for nonprofits just beginning to build their matching gifts solicitation processes. Embed this comprehensive, searchable database directly on your donation form and website, and then link to it in your social media posts. Then, when donors see your posts and are interested, they know exactly where to look to search their own eligibility!
For larger nonprofits looking to improve their existing matching gift processes, 360MatchPro may be the better solution. This automated matching gifts tool allows for the immediate searching of a donor’s eligibility upon making a donation. Once an eligible donor is identified, the software sends automated marketing communications to inform the donor of matching gift opportunities.
Matching gift software provides you with an easy way to manage the influx of interest generated by social media posting. If this seems like a good solution for your organization, sign up for a 14-day free trial with Double the Donation.
With that, check out the following 12 sample posts to inspire your Twitter and Facebook-based matching gift marketing.
Sample Matching Gift Posts for Twitter
Because of Twitter’s 280-character limitation, be concise and to-the-point in your communications. Further, include a quick link to your organization’s giving page, website, or dedicated matching gift page so interested donors can access it on-the-fly via tweet
Here are some example matching gift tweets:
1. Did you know your gift can be doubled, tripled & even quadrupled? Your employer might offer matching gift programs.
2. Did you donate to us this year? There’s still time to submit a matching gift request from your employer!
3. It’s February – do you love us? We love you, too! Click here to see if your company will double your donations: <insert URL>
4. Ever wonder if your employer matches donations? Search our database to learn more about your employer at <insert URL>.
5. Last year, we raised $X from corporate matching gift programs – help make 20XX a better year!
6. Did you know that tons of organizations offer matching gift opportunities? Check to see if yours does.
7. It takes just a few minutes to submit corporate employee matching gift forms… have you submitted yours?
Additionally, with retweets, donors can also easily share the word about your organization’s offering. The platform was made with efficiency in mind—so if you want to simply and quickly inform your donors, Twitter is a great place.
However, to educate donors about matching gifts through more in-depth communications, consider using Facebook.
Sample Matching Gift Posts for Facebook
Facebook doesn’t present the challenge of character limitations as Twitter does, but that doesn’t mean you can ramble on. The following examples balance offering more in-depth information with catering to the shorter attention span associated with the internet.
Here are some example matching gift posts for Facebook:
1. We sincerely appreciate all donations to <Your Organization’s Name>! Did you know that your generosity has the potential to be doubled, tripled, or even quadrupled? Check to see if your employer offers a matching gift program!
2. What do Microsoft, Bank of America, IBM, and Verizon all have in common? Each one matches donations made by their employees’ to nonprofit organizations. This means that if you donate, or have donated to <Your Organization’s Name>, and work for one of these four companies, the company will double your donation. Many major employers offer similar programs. Search <insert URL> to find out if your employer offers something like this, as well as to access program guidelines, how-to instructions, and relevant forms.
3. A huge thanks to all of our donors, and a double thanks to those who submit matching fund requests from their employers! Does your employer offer a program like this? Check today!
4. Help us <Your Organization’s Mission>. Ask your employer to match, double, or even triple your donation today! Check out your organization’s matching gift options here: <insert URL>
5. We like to brag that our donors are the best. Not only do they contribute to us, but they also take the extra step to see if their employer offers a matching gift program that may double the total donation to our organization! Have you checked to see if your company offers a matching gift option? Thanks for being a super donor if so! Check here to see if your company has a program like this: <insert URL>
Just as with Twitter, donors can easily share your Facebook posts with their friends and family. It’s a great way to get in front of new donors you might not reach otherwise!
If used correctly, social media can be a valuable resource in marketing matching gift opportunities. For more information on how to use social media to market matching gift programs, check out some additional social media ideas.