Finding A Matching Gift Coordinator: Sample Job Description
Is your nonprofit organization missing out on potential funds from matching gift donations? Yes.
Does your development department have someone who is knowledgeable about matching gifts and the intricacies of the process? No.
Would you be interested in having someone on your staff who can bring added value to your annual fund? Yes.
If your answers match ours, then it might be time for your organization to bring on a dedicated matching gift coordinator. We’re going to explore hiring a matching gift coordinator through the following topics:
With the sample job description, we’ll look at a general overview, key responsibilities, and the characteristics of a qualified candidate. Follow along for a deep-dive into hiring a matching gift specialist.
What is a matching gift coordinator?
A matching gift coordinator is simply the staff member in charge of all of your organization’s matching gift needs, from discovering which donors are match eligible to educating those donors about submitting match requests.
This is the staff member that, for a smaller nonprofit, directs donors to your organization’s searchable matching gift database or even searches donors’ information themselves. Or, on the other hand, if you’re a larger nonprofit– this is the staff member that manages your matching gift automation tool. Finally, after determining eligibility, this staff member follows-up with donors, starting the process.
Bonus! If your organization doesn’t currently have either of these tools and they seem like a good solution for you, visit Double the Donation to get started.
We’ve put together a sample job description for a matching gift coordinator that you can post on a multitude of great nonprofit job and career sites. Of course, you’ll need to add in the more specific elements that make your organization unique to help you stand out from the crowd. Use this template to get started, and customize it according to your organization’s specific successes!
Matching Gift Coordinator
The Matching Gift Coordinator is responsible for the oversight of the matching gift program, a component of fund development. This position entails communicating with individual donors to ensure knowledge about the possibility of matching gifts, as well as maintaining and updating appropriate information on the website and within relevant marketing materials.
The Matching Gift Coordinator reports to and works in collaboration with the Director of Development.
- Checking all individual donations against the donor’s employer to see if they are eligible for a corporate match.
- Reaching out to individual donors to inform them of the possibility of a corporate matching gift.
- Providing donors with appropriate information and guidelines to make the match process as effortless as possible.
- Maintaining and updating the matching gift information on software such as Double the Donation as necessary.
- Sending timely acknowledgments to individual donors and matching gift companies.
- Maintaining the matching gift section on the fundraising pages of the website.
- Marketing matching gift opportunities via various outlets including social media, email campaigns, and annual fund letters.
Characteristics of a Qualified Candidate
The Matching Gift Coordinator position requires an organized, proactive, and energetic individual who will work effectively with donors and corporations.
A successful candidate will have the following qualities:
- At least 2 years of experience in fund development in nonprofit organizations.
- An ability to think independently and communicate effectively.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- An ability to learn quickly, especially with regard to software management.
A matching gift coordinator can help your organization increase its incoming donations through matching gift programs. These programs present a huge opportunity, and you don’t want to miss out due to being understaffed!
If it’s time for your organization to bring on a matching gift coordinator, use the above job description to start your search.