At Double the Donation, we frequently receive questions about which companies match gifts to specific nonprofit categories. We previously covered matching gifts at high schools and higher education institutions, but elementary schools and foundations are also major recipients.
It’s well known that almost all companies with matching gifts will match to higher education, but the policies can be confusing in regards to K-12 schools. In this article we highlight a few companies that make a major impact on elementary school education by matching donations from employees.
Corporate Matching Gifts for Elementary Schools
Elementary schools have a lot to gain from corporate matching. HP, for instance, allows employees to support organizations with HP technology. The HP employee contributes 25% of the equipment’s list price and the remaining 75% is matched by the company. Thus a $1,000 donation from a parent would be worth $4,000 in equipment. A single donation like this could update and replace many library or classroom computers.
Companies love being seen as supporters of their local elementary schools and there’s no better way than matching donations from employees. If your school is fortunate enough to have a large donor base, make sure you’re paying attention to companies in your area that match donations (or subscribe to a matching gift service like Double the Donation). The key to increasing your matching gift fundraising is to raise awareness and make it easy for donors to submit match requests.
List of Companies Matching Donations to Elementary Schools
If you’re looking for information about matching gifts or volunteer grants you’ve come to the right place. Check out this list of just a few of the companies that will match gifts to elementary schools.
The Home Depot
Home Depot will match gifts to almost all 501(c)(3) organizations and educational institutions (elementary schools included). The company matches employee donations that are between $25 and $3,000.
Like many companies, Home Depot matches on a dollar for dollar ratio.
In addition to its work with the Ronald McDonald House, McDonald’s will match employee donations up to $5,000 a year to elementary schools.
As one of the largest employers in the world, this matching gift benefit has the potential to impact schools across the United States.
Texas Instruments – TI
Not only does Texas Instruments make many of the technologies used in classrooms, it also supports elementary schools with its matching gift program. Additionally, TI stands out for doing a great job notifying employees and retirees of its programs.
The company matches donations of between $50 and $10,000 per employee each year. As an added benefit, Texas Instruments also matches donations from retirees as well as offers grants of up to $1,000 when employees or retirees volunteer regularly.
The Walt Disney Corporation
The Walt Disney Company will match donations to elementary schools made by current full-time employees, part-time employees, and retirees of between $25 and $15,000 annually. The company matches to all K-12 schools.
If a Walt Disney employee also volunteers with a school, the company will provide a grant of up to $1,000 as a way to recognize the volunteerism.
Matching gift programs can be an additional source of fundraising for elementary schools that have a large donor base. If you’re looking to become even more knowledgeable on corporate giving programs, make sure to check out the following articles.