Corporate Matching Gift Programs: Understanding the Basics
Understanding Corporate Matching Gift Programs
What are matching gifts?
Corporate matching gifts are a type of philanthropy in which companies financially match donations that their employees make to nonprofit organizations.
When an employee makes a donation, they’ll request the matching gift from their employer, who then makes their own donation. Companies usually match donations at a 1:1 ratio, but some will match at a 2:1, 3:1, or even a 4:1 ratio.
Takeaway: Corporate philanthropy programs allow your donors to maximize the impact of their donation, but without having to reach back into their wallets to do so.
Top Corporate Matching Gift Programs
- General Electric
- Soros Fund Management
- Gap Corporation
- State Street Corporation
- Johnson & Johnson
- Choice Hotels
- MAXIMUM MATCH AMOUNT
- LEARN MORE
- General Electric’s matching gift program
- Soros’ matching gift program
- BP’s matching gift program
- Gap’s matching gift program
- State Street Corporation’s matching gift program
- ExxonMobil’s matching gift program
- CarMax’s matching gift program
- Johnson & Johnson’s matching gift program
- Choice Hotels’ matching gift program
- Microsoft’s matching gift program
Which Nonprofits are Eligible for Matching Gifts?
Takeaway: Approximately two-thirds of companies match employee donations to nearly any of the above 501(c)(3) organizations or educational institutions, while the other third typically choose the organizations and programs most closely related to their mission.
Corporate Matching Gift Program Guidelines
The Matching Gift Submission Process
Here’s the basic process a donor will need to follow in order to submit a corporate matching gift request and have it fulfilled by their employer:
- The donor completes their online donation and is redirected to an eligibility search page or tool.
- The donor searches for their employer’s corporate matching gift program guidelines.
- They follow the link to the submission form, complete it, and send it to their employer.
- Once processed and approved, the company makes a matching donation to your organization!
Let’s walk through each step in greater detail:
Raise More Money with a Corporate Matching Gift Database
What is a matching gift database?
A matching gift database is a type of corporate giving database that collects information about corporate matching gift programs. It contains specific information about thousands of companies’ matching gift programs that can be accessed all from one place.
What are the benefits of using a matching gift database?
The benefits are substantial for both donors and companies:
Donors can feel pride in knowing that their gift will be matched by a corporate matching gift program, and will feel inclined to give more. If they know their donation’s impact can be doubled, this can help them make the decision to donate in the first place.
Regardless of their size, companies can benefit by showing their communities and employees that they care about giving back.
Takeaway: Using a matching gift database can help you raise more money and give donors and companies a greater sense of pride.
Double the Donation’s Matching Gift Software
Takeaway: Obtaining matching gifts can be a challenge, but with the right software, you can streamline the process and increase your revenue from corporate matching gift programs.
Matching Gift Analytics: Measure Matching Gifts with 360MatchPro
What 360MatchPro’s data analysis can show you
Tracking all of these data points can be difficult, especially when your team is already busy. But 360MatchPro, the automated matching gifts marketing platform, can ensure your nonprofit’s success when it comes to receiving corporate donations as well as keep you informed on your progress.
360MatchPro’s data tracking capabilities can give you up-to-the-minute updates on information such as:
- What percentage of your donations are eligible to be matched.
- What stage in the process your donors are.
- Where the largest revenue opportunities are.
You can also take advantage of features like:
- Identification tools.
- Automated and targeted donor engagement.
- Branding and customization.
With easy overviews of your data, your nonprofit will quickly be able to see where you’re succeeding and where you have room for improvement.
Matching Gift KPIs
In order to optimize your matching gifts strategy, there is a variety of data you should track with 360MatchPro. These include KPIs like the following:
- Match submission rate. Check the rate of donors who submit a matching gift request to their company after you follow-up with them about it.
- Percentage of donors who are matching gifts eligible. Help donors understand their matching gift eligibility via identification methods that can easily integrate into your existing donation process. This could include automatically checking the company email addresses of donors in your CRM and determining if they work for a matching gift company.
- Email open rates for matching gift marketing emails. Learn how your emails are performing with aggregated open rates, click rates, and delivery rates.
Takeaway: Tracking data can be hard, but you need to know where to stand in order to show that you’ve improved. Use a software like 360MatchPro to automate your matching donation process.