What are corporate team volunteer grants?
Team volunteer grants are corporate giving programs in which a company provides a monetary donation to nonprofits when a group of employees volunteer together.
Corporations offer these programs to promote team building and community service.
These corporate grant programs have the potential to be a win-win for everyone involved. If your organization can design appealing opportunities for groups of corporate employees to come out and volunteer, everyone wins!
- Your organization receives volunteer support from a group of individuals
- The group of employees has an enjoyable and rewarding team-building event
- The corporation gets to give back to the community
- Your organization receives a grant from the company
Examples of team volunteer grant programs:
Through Advanced Micro Devices’ Grant Incentives for Volunteer Efforts (GIVE), the company provides grants of $15 per hour volunteered when individual employees volunteer with a nonprofit.
To make AMD’s volunteer incentive program even better, the company provides grants when groups of employees volunteer together. Through AMD’s Team Development Grants, when teams of five or more employees volunteer together for at least 10 total hours (2 hours each), the school / organization is eligible for a $500 grant.
Through The CarMax Foundation, an Associate can make a team-building event more impactful. When groups of employees volunteer together they’re able to earn a grant from The CarMax Foundation for the nonprofit they’re volunteering with.
Volunteer Team Building Grant amounts are:
- $500 for eligible donation drives (excludes blood drives) or when five-24 Associates volunteer (see below for runs and walks)
- $1,000 when five or more Associates participate in a run or walk benefiting an eligible non-profit
- $1,000 when 25 or more Associates volunteer
Even better is that most of the above grants are doubled for activities taking place in June in celebration of CarMax Cares Month.
IBM offers both individual and team volunteer grants.
When IBM employees and retirees volunteer individually they are eligible for up to $3,500 in technology grants or $1,000 in cash awards a year for organizations where they regularly volunteer. Employees must volunteer for a minimum of 8 hours a month for five months.
Groups of IBMers or retirees who volunteer together may request up to $7,500 in IBM equipment grants for eligible schools and not-for-profit organizations.
Xcel Energy offers multiple types of employee giving programs. Through Xcel Energy’s individual volunteer grant program, the company provides grants worth $10 per hour volunteered when an employee volunteers with a nonprofit. The company also matches up to $2000 of employee donations to a wide range of nonprofits.
Through Xcel Energy’s team volunteer grant program, when teams of six or more employees participate in a community volunteer project, Excel Energy will donate $500 to the associated nonprofit.
When a minimum of five Kohl’s Associates from one location volunteer at least three consecutive hours of their time with a qualifying organization, the nonprofit is given a $500 grant.
Verizon provides individual volunteer grants worth $750 when an employee volunteers for 50 hours and matches donations up to $5,000 per employee per year.
But perhaps the greatest award comes through Verizon’s team program, where teams of 10 or more Verizon employees who collectively raise funds for a nonprofit or school can have their funds matched up to $10,000 per team and event.
Walmart provides $250 for each individual in their volunteer grant program who volunteers at least 25 hours and allows up to four individual grant requests per year.
When five or more associates volunteer at least an accumulated 25 hours, Walmart will grant the team $500. Also, Walmart associates from any department or any facility can volunteer together as a team. Walmart will grant up to $5,000 if associates make a team of 50 volunteers, and each department or facility may submit up to four team grant requests per year.
Through Westar Energy’s Spirit of Giving Program, the company matches donations, offers grants when individuals volunteer, provides additional matches when an employee serves on a nonprofit board, and provides grants when teams of employees volunteer together.
As part of the Department Team Building Service Match the company will donate $1,000 to an organization where five or more employees conduct an external team building service project for a minimum of one half of a day.
Team volunteer grants can be a great way to raise additional funds for your organization.
For more information on team volunteer grants, check out Double the Donation’s additional resources:
- Awesome Volunteer Management Tools for Nonprofits. Keeping a accurate record of your supporters’ volunteer time allows you to notify them when they qualify for a grant. Learn about how you can manage volunteers with nonprofit software.
- Volunteer Management: The Essential Guide to Engaging (and Keeping) Volunteers. In order to raise money through volunteer grants, your organization needs to encourage supporters to donate their time. Check out our volunteer management strategies to help you out.
- Top Volunteer Grant Companies. Interested in checking out more companies with volunteer grants? Check out our list of top ten picks.