Whether your company is managing a corporate giving program or your nonprofit is seeking matching gift revenue, corporate philanthropy can be tricky to master.
For businesses, creating an effective matching gift program entails substantial hard work that will ultimately pay off. For nonprofits, it takes ongoing research to acquire much-deserved matching gift revenue. Nonetheless, corporate social responsibility is a growing, impactful phenomenon.
Matching gift programs are naturally complex, but fortunately, there are several technology solutions on the market. To kick off your research, let’s go through each of these major areas:
If you’re not already familiar with these philanthropic programs, take a look at this comprehensive guide on corporate giving. Otherwise, let’s jump straight into the top matching gift software providers!
1. Top Matching Gift Software Providers for Nonprofits
Corporate giving represents a major revenue opportunity for nonprofits, but researching your donors’ employers can be fairly difficult and time-consuming. Plus, for nonprofits, this process never ends.
Once you initially gather information on local companies’ programs, your team has to stay up-to-date on the changes made within these programs. This may be doable for very small nonprofits, but as their donor bases grow, staying updated without software is virtually impossible.
Let’s take a look at the two leading matching gift products for nonprofits:
Remember, any size nonprofit can benefit from a matching gift database—no matter how small. Without a comprehensive, intuitive system, your nonprofit will inevitably overlook these major revenue opportunities.
Double the Donation (For Small and Medium-Sized Nonprofits)
Double the Donation specializes in tools that help nonprofits raise more money from corporate philanthropy programs. Within the database, there’s information on more than 20,000 companies, representing 15+ million match-eligible individuals.
As the most comprehensive source for all things matching gifts, your nonprofit will boost its matching gift potential. Once your team embeds the search tool across your online fundraising channels, here’s what it does:
- Allows donors to search for their employers.
- Presents all available information (e.g. forms, guidelines, etc.) on each company’s match program.
- Helps you pinpoint your match opportunities.
Within this comprehensive database of companies, programs offered by companies in the US, Canada, and the UK are tracked. Many of these companies are managed by different corporate vendors. Regardless of the differences in the programs, all available guidelines are presented with the tool.
To use the tool, nonprofits can either:
- Build and host a custom matching gift page on Double the Donation’s website.
- Embed Double the Donation’s matching gift plugin onto any page within their own websites.
Think your nonprofit can benefit?
360MatchPro (For Large Nonprofits and Higher Education)
Larger nonprofits and higher education institutions may benefit even more from 360MatchPro by Double the Donation. This tool is the complete end-to-end matching gift solution that automates the majority of the process.
To simplify corporate giving for nonprofits, here’s what it does:
- Automatically identifies matching gift opportunities through email domain screening.
- Follows up with these eligible donors through emails branded to your organization.
- Enables customizable tracking so you know where your donors are in the match process.
- Creates an automated, customized plan to boost your match revenue.
Unlike many matching gift platforms for nonprofits, 360MatchPro integrates with a number of systems. In other words, if your organization already leverages integrable database software, you won’t have to worry about transferring your donor data.
Plus, the system has state-of-the-art security that will protect all of your donors’ data and will help your team gain better insight into your revenue opportunities.
360MatchPro is the next evolution of advanced matching gift tools for nonprofits. If your large organization isn’t using dedicated matching gift software, there’s no doubt that you’re missing out on major opportunities. Stop overlooking corporate philanthropy!
2. Matching Gift Software Vendors for Companies
If your company doesn’t already have a philanthropic program in place, there’s no time like the present! There are innumerable benefits for having these programs, which you can read about here.
If you already have a match program in place, your company may be considering switching to an electronic matching gift system. Not only does that save your company time, but it ensures there aren’t any gaps in your guidelines.
Let’s go through each of the leading software vendors for companies:
Originally founded in Canada in 2008, Benevity has rapidly developed a major presence with companies based in the United States as well.
This platform strives to create compelling giving programs that help companies attract, retain, and engage employees. In addition to a matching gift program, the vendor allows businesses to implement other philanthropic programs, such as Dollars for Doers and charitable gift cards to motivate employees to generously give.
A few of Benevity’s clients include:
Through the software, corporations can evaluate their success in making a positive impact on their communities. That way, they can adjust their efforts to create the best possible giving program.
Bright Funds, a leading CSR technology platform, enables companies to create more effective philanthropic programs. In short, it tackles workplace giving, volunteerism, and grants management.
This software simplifies the donation process so that companies can give to highly effective charities working on the issues that matter most to employees. In order to do this, it uses foundation-level research to impact nonprofits such as the following:
- Environmental organizations
- Educational institutions
- Human rights organizations
- Health-focused nonprofits
When this software is enabled, employees build a portfolio of charitable “investments” by selecting the cause-based funds and individual nonprofits that reflect their passions.
From the company’s perspective, they’ll be able to easily implement their program. When doing this, they can choose to match donations, encourage employee volunteerism through grants, and organize their own volunteer events.
Founded in 2007, Causecast is one of the most innovative players in the corporate giving space. Causecast’s Community Impact Platform is designed to automate, and encourage employee engagement through corporate giving and volunteering programs.
The CIP platform both enables employees to participate with approved causes, all while giving administrators tools for campaign creation, and detailed custom reporting.
Like other major CSR companies, this software vendor aims to build better, more generous workplaces through philanthropic giving.
To do this, Causecast offers its services to time-conscious program administrators and employees who want to engage with their companies and community. Also, services are offered to business executives who strive to improve the employee experience and boost employee retention.
For over 20 years, CyberGrants has been a leader in the online grantmaking space. Over time, the company has recorded many firsts through its initiatives, including:
- Developing the first online application
- Providing the first online grants administration tools
- Creating the first online workplace giving and volunteering systems for corporations
A few years ago, CyberGrants merged with the JK Group, which owned the Consiva and Easymatch platforms. Today, it manages employee giving programs for many global companies including:
As a flexible philanthropy software platform, it provides numerous, innovative ways for companies to develop their programs.
Through its dedicated corporate social responsibility platform, YourCause helps corporations of all sizes. This platform, called CSRconnect, is a customizable community tool that centralizes employee engagement.
When businesses invest in the CSRconnect platform, they’ll be able to enable year-round matching gifts, annual pledge campaigns, and more. Plus, the platform also leverages peer-to-peer fundraising. In other words, employees will raise money on behalf of the nonprofits they care about, and you can match those donations.
Recently, YourCause acquired the major CSR platform Amerigives, too. A few of YourCause’s well-known clients include:
Plus, as a business professional, you’ve likely heard of the leading CRM system Blackbaud. YourCause integrates with this major CRM software, meaning you won’t have to spend time transferring your employees’ data.
If that’s not convincing enough, the customizable software allows companies and employees to access 300,000+ global nonprofits from 170 countries, which is astounding!
For nonprofits and companies alike, corporate social responsibility is highly influential and catching on rapidly. From the nonprofit perspective, corporate philanthropy means boosting revenue. Not leveraging a matching gift database equates to not fulfilling matching gift potential.
From the business perspective, corporate philanthropy means developing a brand, promoting a generous workplace, and giving back to the community. However, developing and maintaining a giving program is nearly impossible without software.
Now that you know more about specific software solutions, start leveraging this technology in your corporate giving strategy!
Want to discover more ways to maximize the giving potential of donors? Check out these comprehensive corporate giving resources to get started:
- Corporate Giving Programs: The Ultimate Fundraising Guide. Corporate giving encompasses more than just matching gifts. Find out about other types of corporate philanthropy with this comprehensive guide.
- 21+ Corporate Fundraising Ideas by Fundly. Matching gifts is one of Fundly’s top corporate fundraising ideas that benefit both businesses and nonprofits. To learn the other effective corporate fundraising ideas, take a look at this list.
- Build Your Fundraising Strategy From the Ground Up by Aly Sterling. For nonprofits of any size, incorporating matching gifts into your fundraising strategy is a must. Check out these helpful fundraising strategy tips to learn more!
The importance of employee engagement, which is defined as the emotional and functional commitment an employee has to his or her organization, cannot be overstated. Companies with engaged employees outperform those without by up to 202%!
Engaged employees are also happier, stay with companies longer, and are more philanthropically minded.
While the benefits are clear, employee engagement is a struggle for most companies, with over 71% of employees reporting that they are not fully engaged.
How can you use corporate giving programs to increase your employees’ engagement?
Three Key Drivers of Employee Engagement
It’s said that employees don’t leave companies, they leave people, and it’s true. Many of the reasons employees claim they aren’t engaged in their company have to do with people.
Three drivers of employee engagement include:
- Employees’ relationships with their direct managers: 80% of employees who were dissatisfied with their direct manager were disengaged.
- Employees’ belief in senior leadership: 70% of employees who lack confidence in the abilities of senior leadership are not fully engaged.
- Employees’ pride in working for the company: 54% of employees who were proud of their company’s contributions to society are engaged.
How Can Companies Increase Employee Engagement?
Although Dale Carnegie highlights five great tips for employee engagement, we’ve added a few ideas which our research has shown enhances employee engagement:
- Senior leadership must articulate a clear vision to all employees. Without a clear goal, employees will not know what they’re working toward.
- Employees should be encouraged to openly communicate and influence the company’s vision with their input.
- Direct managers should foster healthy relationships with their employees.
- Senior leadership should continuously demonstrate that employees have an impact on their work environment.
- Managers should show employees that they are valued as true contributors, giving them a sense of empowerment.
- Managers should organize and encourage team volunteerism in communities as a way of giving back and encouraging social interaction outside the office.
- Companies should give back to local nonprofits. Corporate giving programs, like matching gift programs and volunteer grants, are a great way for corporations to support organizations that employees care about.
How Companies can use Corporate Philanthropy to Increase Employee Engagement
Companies can help keep employees satisfied in any number of ways. But did you know that companies can boost employee engagement and help the community at the same time?
- Offer employee giving programs. Nearly two thirds of Fortune 500 companies offer a matching gift program that makes employees’ charitable contributions go twice as far. Matching gift programs help engage employees by showing them that the company not only encourages donating but takes part in it as well. Employees can feel proud knowing that their employer gives back.
- Encourage volunteerism. Whether a company offers paid time off for employees to volunteer or encourages employees to team up to participate in fundraising events, employee engagement can skyrocket when volunteerism is part of a company’s philanthropic culture. Allowing employees to band together to better the community helps them feel like the company supports them and will boost their dedication.
- Offer volunteer grants. Volunteer grants are donations that companies make to nonprofits after an employee has volunteered for a certain amount of time. Volunteer grants demonstrate a company’s commitment to helping worthy causes and instills a shared sense of philanthropy amongst employees, boosting engagement and satisfaction.
Why Corporate Giving Programs are a Win-Win for Everyone
Benefits of incorporating giving programs like matching gifts, volunteer grants, and volunteerism include:
- Employees get to experience an enjoyable and rewarding team-building event
- The corporation gets to give back to the community
- The corporation’s reputation in the community is enhanced through positive press coverage and other channels
- The nonprofits receive volunteer support and/or additional funding
While there is a multitude of ways to increase employee engagement, utilizing corporate giving programs can be one of the most beneficial for employees, companies, and nonprofits alike.
Looking for information on Benevity or trying to figure out which companies use Benevity’s corporate philanthropy software?
Good news, while Double the Donation is a completely separate and non-related company (we provide employee matching gift tools to nonprofits whereas Benevity provides services to corporations), we can share much of the information which you’re looking for.
Almost all major companies have philanthropic giving programs in place. Sometimes they’re managed entirely internally, but many use a vendor for the corporate philanthropy software and administration.
Benevity, one of the corporate philanthropy vendors, was founded in Calgary in 2008 by Bryan de Lottinville. Since then it has become one of the leading providers of CSR software in both the US and Canada.
Benevity offers a full suite of technical solutions to help companies power their corporate philanthropy programs.
- Centralized donation management & payroll deductions
- Custom cause portfolios & disaster response
- Company & user-generated volunteering opportunities
- Dynamic news & blog content
- Charitable rewards & matching incentives
- Comprehensive reporting capabilities
- International capabilities
It’s also worth noting that Benevity is a registered BCorp (uses the power of business to solve social and environmental problems) that helps companies to make a difference while achieving greater business impacts from their cause marketing, community investment, workplace giving and volunteering programs.
Which Companies Use Benevity?
Benevity provides corporate philanthropy software to many US and Canadian based corporations. A few clients include:
Benevity Causes for Nonprofits:
Benevity Causes is a portal which Benevity runs for nonprofits. It offers charities direct access to customize their interactions with companies around the world.
Some of the services Benevity Causes provides include:
- Gaining exposure & connecting with businesses
- Updating your cause profile
- Accessing detailed donor reports
- Receiving funds faster & more efficiently
- Adding volunteer opportunities
Since Benevity provides the software that powers many large companies’ corporate philanthropy efforts, we recommend that all nonprofits register with Benevity Causes.
Double the Donation’s Relationship with Benevity:
Benevity and Double the Donation are two completely separate businesses.
While Benevity provides workplace giving tools to companies, Double the Donation helps nonprofits raise more money from the employee matching gift programs offered by companies across the world.
Double the Donation’s database of matching gift companies includes matching gift programs managed either internally at companies or outsourced to one of the many corporate vendors such as:
How Do I Contact Benevity?
If you’re a corporation interested in learning more about Benevity’s software solutions you can contact the company in one of three ways:
- By email – Use the company’s contact form
- By phone – (403) 237-7875
- By mail – Benevity, 300, 805 – 10th Avenue SW. Calgary, AB, T2R 0B4
Double the Donation
It’s important to remember that Benevity and Double the Donation are completely unrelated companies.
Double the Donation sells an easy-to-use tool to nonprofits to help them promote matching gifts to donors (check out our service to see if it can help your organization increase matching gift fundraising). Our database of matching gift companies includes those administered by Benevity as well as those managed by other matching gift vendors.
Double the Donation’s team researches and manages a database of matching gift company guidelines, forms, and contact information which nonprofits and their donors can access. If you’re a nonprofit looking to improve your matching gift fundraising, test out our service.
While Double the Donation is primarily geared around providing matching gift tools for nonprofits, we also consult with corporations interested in creating or overhauling their employee matching gift and volunteer grant programs.
Before we begin any of these engagements, we always encourage corporate representatives to review the resources and articles contained on our site. Below are a few suggested reads for corporate employees.
Resources for Companies Creating New Matching Gift Programs:
Matching Gift Basics: While this article is geared towards nonprofits, it includes a good overview of different aspects of matching gift programs.
Standard Elements of Matching Gift Programs: A great read for corporations explaining the different elements of standard corporate match guidelines.
Top Matching Gift Companies: In this article we highlight ten companies with outstanding employee giving programs. Each company has a unique component to their match programs that cause them to stand out among their peers.
Common Questions from Companies Creating New Match Programs: On a daily basis our team speaks with nonprofits and corporations about matching gift programs. Here are a few of the most common questions we receive.
Resources for Companies Creating New Volunteer Grant Programs:
Volunteer Grant Basics: While this article is geared towards nonprofits with a large number of volunteers, it includes a good overview of different aspects of volunteer grant programs.
Top Volunteer Grant Companies: We highlight ten companies which provide volunteer grants of greater than $15 per hour.
Three Ways to Make Dollars for Doers Programs a Program Employees Participate In: Realized Worth outlines how companies can design volunteer grant programs that employees actually participate in.
Business Reasons to Create Employee Giving Programs:
The Impact of Matching Gift Programs on Employee Engagement: Get a better understanding of the commonalities of great matching gift programs as well as their impact on employee engagement.
The Importance of Improving Employee Engagement: Wondering why improving employee engagement is good for your business? This article is for you.
Implementing Employee Giving Programs:
Corporate Example (Texas Instruments) – Promoting Employee Giving: View a few examples of how Texas Instruments promotes matching gifts to employees and retirees.
Corporate Example (Microsoft) – Promoting Employee Giving: View a few examples of how Microsoft promotes employee matching gifts to employees.
Paper Processing vs. Electronic Process: Learn why more and more companies are switching to electronic platforms for handling employee giving.
Corporate Philanthropy Software Vendors: Looking to implement a new employee giving program? Make sure to check out these leading vendors who have worked with countless companies to design their employee giving systems.
Using Facebook to Share Dollars for Doers Information: Check out how CUNA Mutual, CH2M Hill, and CSX are using Facebook to spread the word to both employees and local communities.
Disney: Disney offers volunteer grants that are tiered based upon the different hourly thresholds.
State Street: State Street’s corporate philanthropy programs have evolved over the years to include matching gifts, volunteer grants, and fundraising matches.
Verizon: Verizon is one of the largest employers in the country and employees across the income spectrum. Learn about the company’s employee giving programs and the impact on communities.
Looking for information on YourCause or companies which use YourCause’s corporate philanthropy platform?
Good news! While Double the Donation is a completely separate and non-related company, we can share much of the information you’re looking for on YourCause.
What Does YourCause Do?
YourCause is the provider of the CSRconnect Employee Engagement Platform. CSRconnect is an online platform for corporations to manage one or multiple philanthropic programs (including employee matching gift and volunteer grant programs).
Almost all major companies have philanthropic giving programs in place, but many use a vendor for the corporate philanthropy software and administration. YourCause was founded by Matt Combs in 2008 and has become a leader in the CSR space.
YourCause provides companies with the ability to:
- Set up and manage multiple forms of employee giving.
- Establish matching gift guidelines.
- Provide an electronic system for employees to submit matching gifts and log their volunteer hours.
- Verify that nonprofits are eligible for each company’s corporate giving program.
- Process donations from employees.
- Process payments to nonprofits.
Who Uses YourCause’s Corporate Giving Platform?
YourCause provides corporate philanthropy, matching gift, and volunteer grant tools to many of the world’s leading companies.
A few of its clients include:
What’s the difference between YourCause and CSRconnect?
YourCause L.L.C. is the official company name while CSRconnect is the name of their corporate employee giving and volunteering platform.
The CSRconnect platform provides functionality for corporations including:
- Grant management
- Matching gift administration
- Volunteer grant administration
- Payroll giving
- Disaster relief
- And many other services
CSRconnect is a highly customizable tool for corporations of all sizes. Businesses big and small can easily adopt this tool to help streamline fund management, corporate philanthropy tools, and more.
The CSRconnect Employee Engagement Platform is YourCause’s online giving system for corporate employees.
How Do Nonprofits Benefit From YourCause?
YourCause provides a Nonprofit Portal which has free tools to help organizations leverage YourCause’s network of corporate clients. By registering on the Nonprofit Portal to become the administrator, you can increase your organization’s exposure to the donations and volunteer hours being transacted on the platform.
The tools include:
- Unlimited Access to Donation History
- Ability to Input Volunteer Opportunities for Corporate Employees to Join
- Signing Up for ACH Payments for the easy Transfer of Funds
How Do I Contact YourCause?
YourCause is happy to help you with any question or concern you might have!
If you fall into one of the following three categories, you should contact the company’s matching gift and volunteer grant hotline for assistance:
- Nonprofits looking to verify matching donations or those with questions regarding the status of a donation
- Employees looking for assistance with their employers’ matching gift programs
- Retirees with questions about their former employers’ retiree giving programs
There are three ways to contact YourCause:
- By email – Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- By phone – Please call (972) 755-3950
- By mail – YourCause, LLC, 2508 Highlander Way – Suite 210, Carrollton, TX 75006
Double the Donation’s Relationship with YourCause:
YourCause and Double the Donation are two completely separate businesses.
While YourCause provides tools and manages matching gift programs for companies, Double the Donation helps nonprofits raise more money from the matching gift programs offered by companies across the world.
Double the Donation’s database of matching gift companies includes matching gift programs managed either internally at companies or outsourced to one of the many corporate vendors such as:
Double the Donation sells an easy-to-use tool to nonprofits to help them promote matching gifts to donors (check out our service to see if it can help your organization increase matching gift fundraising). Our database of matching gift companies includes those administered by YourCause as well as those managed by the many other matching gift vendors.