Is your nonprofit organization missing out on potential funds from matching gift donations?
Does your development department have someone who is knowledgeable about matching gifts and the intricacies of the process?
Would you be interested in having someone on your staff who can bring added value to your annual fund?
If the answers to these questions are yes, no, and yes, then you might want to look into the possibility of extra personnel, specifically a matching gift coordinator.
We’ve put together a sample job description for a matching gift coordinator that you can post on a multitude of great nonprofit job and career sites. Of course, you’ll need to add in the more specific elements that make your organization unique to help you stand out from the crowd. Sell your nonprofit to those job hunters!
Matching Gift Coordinator
The Matching Gift Coordinator is responsible for the oversight of the matching gift program, a component of fund development. This position entails communicating with individual donors to ensure knowledge about the possibility of matching gifts, as well as maintaining and updating appropriate information on the website and within relevant marketing materials.
The Matching Gift Coordinator reports to and works in collaboration with the Director of Development.
- Checking all individual donations against the donor’s employer to see if they are eligible for a corporate match.
- Reaching out to individual donors to inform them of the possibility of a corporate matching gift.
- Providing donors with appropriate information and guidelines to make the match process as effortless as possible.
- Maintaining and updating the matching gift information on software such as Double the Donation as necessary.
- Sending timely acknowledgements to individual donors and matching gift companies.
- Maintaining the matching gift section on the fundraising pages of the website.
- Marketing matching gift opportunities via various outlets including social media, email campaigns, and annual fund letters.
Characteristics of a Qualified Candidate
The Matching Gift Coordinator position requires an organized, proactive, and energetic individual who will work effectively with donors and corporations.
A successful candidate will have the following qualities:
- At least 2 years of experience in fund development in nonprofit organizations.
- An ability to think independently and communicate effectively.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- An ability to learn quickly, especially with regard to software management.